no sound from gnome cd player or grip

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 5 07:54:00 2003

At 14:47 +0200 on 2003-9-5 R. Hirschfeld wrote:

 > http://yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/sound.shtml
 >
 > The HOWTO recommends different output plugins for CD and MP3, but is
 > it really necessary to switch between them?  All the choices (except
 > Disk Writer, which I didn't try) seem to work for both.

For CD playback you certainly need ESD output (you get white noise
with OSS output, and that is normally undesired ;-) ).  For file (Mp3,
etc.)  playback all of the output plugins do work well.  OSS output is
generally better (no middleman), hence the recommendation in the
howto.  However, nothing prevents you to use ESD output for
everything.  In fact, for reasons that have nothing to do with the
problem at hand (almost always I use an appliance rather than my
machines to play audio CDs) this is precisely what I do.  `This' means
using ESD output permanently, and the reason is that I often send
audio wirelessly to another box that is physically hooked to my main
amp, and hence I need a client-server audio solution.  So far, ESD
works perfectly for me so I have been sticking with it.  Just don't
play movies (especially off DVDs) using such a setting--in such a case
there is a small but noticeable sound lag (which may be generated by
the network component, but ESD probably plays a role as well).

 > Still no sound from grip or gnome-cd

Unfortunately this has no known solution.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.