Error: failed to create socket

Charles Trois yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 5 10:14:01 2003

Hello, may I submit this problem to the list?

After many attempts to install the software for the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB
modem, I turned to the new package speedbundle-1.0, which is supposed to
take care of everything.

As a matter of fact, the package installed quite smoothly. But, when I
called pppd in the prescribed form, I got this error:

[root@sirrah root]# pppd call speedtch
Plugin pppoatm.so loaded.
PPPoATM plugin_init
PPPoATM setdevname - remove unwanted options
PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS:8.35
modprobe: Can't locate module pppoatm
failed to create socket: Address family not supported by protocol
[root@sirrah root]#

The line about the module pppoatm does not worry me; it just means that the
support is built in.

But I don't understand the last line: what protocol? what address family?

I should very grateful if someone could explain this thing and point out the
corrections I have to make.

Charles

P.S. My machine is a 15" LCD iMac, with Yellow Dog Linux 3.0; the kernel
version is 2.4.20-8d, reconfigured to support pppoatm; my ISP is wanadoo.fr,
which works under PPPoA.