Noisy PowerMac

Lyonel Vincent yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 5 11:23:01 2003

Hi all,

I'm the happy owner of a dual 1.25MHz G4 Mirrored Drive Doors PowerMac
(aka WindTunnel, the ones that can't boot MacOS 9).
I've installed YDL-3.0 on it.

The only problem I have is with the noise of this beast under Linux:
it's much much much noisier than under OSX; the fans seem to be forced
on and sometimes accelerate, with a varying noise.

It seems to me that these fans are software-controlled. Is there a way
to control them under Linux? Does anybody have any information on it?
I've tried to have a look in the source code of Darwin but without much
success...

any help would be very much appreciated.
cheers,
lv.

--
The software said it requires Windows XP or better, so I installed
Linux.