no sound from gnome cd player or grip

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 6 07:54:01 2003

> From: Stefan Bruda <bruda@ubishops.ca>
> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:53:33 -0400

> For CD playback you certainly need ESD output (you get white noise
> with OSS output, and that is normally undesired ;-) ).  For file (Mp3,
> etc.)  playback all of the output plugins do work well.  OSS output is
> generally better (no middleman), hence the recommendation in the
> howto.

Actually, the HOWTO recommends OSS for CD playback, and aRTS for MP3.

> However, nothing prevents you to use ESD output for
> everything.  In fact, for reasons that have nothing to do with the
> problem at hand (almost always I use an appliance rather than my
> machines to play audio CDs) this is precisely what I do.

Like you, I left it set to ESD and it seems to work for both.

> Just don't
> play movies (especially off DVDs) using such a setting--in such a case
> there is a small but noticeable sound lag (which may be generated by
> the network component, but ESD probably plays a role as well).

I suspect my older G3 doesn't have enough crunchies for DVD playback
anyway and would need the assistance of its PCMCIA zoomed video card.
Is there support for this in YDL?

>  > Still no sound from grip or gnome-cd
>
> Unfortunately this has no known solution.

I guess there must be little call for this or else something like the
solution xmms-cdread employs would be incorporated into other players.

Thanks for your reply.

Ray