Moving Files Between YDL Machines

Patrick Larkin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 15:03:01 2003

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 04:30 PM, Longman, Bill wrote:

>> Subject: Re: Moving Files Between YDL Machines
>>

>> On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 03:29 PM, Clinton
>> MacDonald wrote:
>>
>>> Patrick:

>>  I need to
>> machines.  I
>>>
>>> What is your network situation like? Are you behind a corporate
>>> firewall? In that case, you might risk an FTP server.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, could you serve up the files as Web links from
>> the Mac OS X
>>> box? It should be easy to script fetching of Web pages using curl.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I might not know what I am talking about....
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Clint
>>
>> Well, the machine where the files are generated are outside the
>> firewall but the two recipient YDL machines are behind the firewall.
>> The MacOS X machine has 2 NIC cards - one for the outside and one for
>> the inside.
>
> So, the OS X box is the firewall? It's just reaching out into the
> badlands
> and getting the files to deliver to the safety of the two YDL
> machines? It's
> still not clear to me the topology. You said the files are generated
> on the
> Mac OS machine but you then said it had two NICs.
>
> If security is still an issue, I don't see it if the scenario is as I
> picture it. The insecure files are being tranferred to machines on a
> secure
> network. The problem would be the first step, getting the files
> securely off
> the machine that's generating them.
>
> Where is OS X?
>
> File Generator ---- Firewall ---- YDL boxen
> ^^^ Here?
>
> or is it parallel to the firewall:
>
>                  +- OS X --+
> File generator --|         |- YDL boxen
>                  +-  FW  --+
>
> Or do I have the YDLs in the wrong places?

I believe you are correct in the first diagram.  The machine where the
files originate is open to the world.  The YDL machines are nonexistent
to the world although they do exist on our inside network.  Just being
on the inside network is a security issue.  Now, I could probably
isolate these boxes from the rest of the internal network but I'm not
the network guy and am just setting these boxes up now...thus my
presence here.  :)

Even still, I don't know of any good way to script FTP transfers so I'm
back at square one.