PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G3 processor

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 15:29:01 2003

On an 8500 you will need a mac HFS partition with some Mac OS on it.  I'm pretty sure, others check me on this, that it can be 7.5.3.  All you need it to do is boot, load the BootX control panel and that's it - then it's off to YDL.

I have an 8550WGS, similar to yours, and speak with some hands on experience.  In fact I am running a G4 upgrade card in it too.

I can send you the YDL 3.0 CD's but I can't help on the MacOS side.  I have external HD's with my MacOS on them so when I want to build a machine I just connect up a SCSI HD and boot from it.

Now, if you go to the apple FTP site you can actually download the System 7.5.3 floppy diskettes (eek - but they work).  You can use the rescue disk which has disk utils to partition your HD.  I always set aside around 250mb for the MacOS and the rest for YDL.  I know it is extra space but sometimes I download/use the Mac side for odd jobs.

When you partition the HD make sure it has two partions.  The 1st partion should be "unallocated" and will be used for YDL.  The 2nd partion should be around 250mb (your choice on size) and used for MacOS.

If you want me to send you the YDL CD's just send me an email with your contact information to:  macnlosNO@SPAMmindspring.com

Make sure you remove the NO and SPAM from the email address.

C.R.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bacon <c1fer@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sep 17, 2003 2:45 PM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G3 processor

I posted this a while back but was never able to get
it solved. I have a PPC 8500/150 and I purchased
Yellowdog Linux. I got this PPC from a sale and there
was no cds.

I want to wipe out the whole hard drive and load YDL
without any MAC software but I was instructed to
create a boot cd. I don't have a burner at the moment
and was wondering if someone in the community can
create one for me.

Like I said I want to create a Pure YDL system and I
do not have any MAC OS cds. If there are any
takers.... I can "donate" to the cause via Paypal.

I need a Boot CD that will enable me to Load YDL
without using any MAC Partitions.

Thanks

Chris