PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G3 processor

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 17 15:48:00 2003

C. R.:

On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 04:28  PM, macnlos@mindspring.com
wrote:

> I'm pretty sure, others check me on this, that it can be 7.5.3.

Yes, 7.5.3 will work, although there were a a number of bug fixes that
bring you up to 7.5.5. Which would only matter if you were running the
Mac OS for any significant period of time, which, it seems, Chris will
not be doing.

> Now, if you go to the apple FTP site you can actually download the
> System 7.5.3 floppy diskettes (eek - but they work). You can use the
> rescue disk which has disk utils to partition your HD.

The only problem with that plan is that one needs access to a Macintosh
with a floppy drive to copy the disk images to floppies (there are no
Windows or Linux utilities that recognize the Mac disk images).

> I always set aside around 250mb for the MacOS and the rest for YDL. I
> know it is extra space but sometimes I download/use the Mac side for
> odd jobs.

An excellent plan!

> When you partition the HD make sure it has two partions.  The 1st
> partion should be "unallocated" and will be used for YDL.  The 2nd
> partion should be around 250mb (your choice on size) and used for
> MacOS.

Actually, make *one* partition, but resize it down to 250 MB; this will
leave the remaining disk space as "unallocated."

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>