667 or 1Ghz ?

Jason Lee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 19 07:57:01 2003

Dan Burcaw wrote:
> On newer laptops, they startup at a lower cpu rating
> by default and under OS X crank up as speed is required (e.g. lots of
> apps open, etc.).  Under YDL, to crank of the CPU speed to the max, you
> can do this:
>
> cat /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed_max > /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed
>
> The cpufreqd program mentioned earlier can dynamically scale the CPU
> speed like OS X.
>

> Regards,
> Dan

>>>I have asked this same question before and after replies, I was
>>>still not able to fix it. My Tibook - 1GHz - shutdown down every
>>>time I try to change the speed.
>>>
>>>If you search the list for 'cpufreq', you'll find various answers to
>>>this as well as possible solutions - if they work. Also, look in
>>>
>>>/usr/src/linux-<kernel vers>/Documentation/cpufreq
>>>
>>>for info on how to set the speed.
>>>
>>>Gentoo also has a specific blurb on this subject:
>>>http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml#doc_chap2
>>>
>>>Good Luck!
>>>
>>>- Jason
>>
>>I confirm the same problem on my machine. I've looked at the Gentoo
>>page. Is recompiling the kernel nontrivial? It sounds like it. I
>>can't find above path on my YDL 3.0.
>>
>>I guess I'll have to search for myself. I'm getting a little drained
>>from spending so much time reconfiguring parameters to make a machine
>>run properly. Does it ever get less time consuming?
>>
>>		SC

As SC said, this doesn't work on my machine and as I've mentioned
before, any touching of the speed setting under proc and the machine,
after 1/2 second, shuts down.

What makes this extremely annoying, besides the fact that it even
happens at all, is that I then have to perform a rescue so that the
speed setting can be reset on the file system. This also involves a file
system check since it was not cleanly unmounted and most of the time, I
have weird Gnome settings and things either disappear from the panels or
Nautilus barfs or something..

I have not tried recompiling the kernel because, frankly, the settings
seemed like they were correct, according to the gentoo powerpc install
guide - which mentioned the cpufreq issue specifically. Also, I went on
the Panther side >:) and cranked the cpu up with no power mgmt, thinking
that would fix it, and it didn't.

I'm writing this one off as unresolved (possibly forever) since it seems
to only affect a few pb's (maybe there were some hardware changes at
some point?) and I can still live with it running at 667. Although it
would be much better if it ran at what it's rated at, I agree, it starts
taking up too much time.

I dunno, I like YDL, but maybe I'll try Gentoo and see if I have the
same issue.

- j