disk partitioning: can i use my external drive to save my current system

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 19 09:52:01 2003

<<<<<
I'm running mac os 10.2.6 on a tibook with a lacie
 firewire external hard drive.
 my current disk usage on my internal hard drive is
 less than half the capacity, so i would like to
 install ydl and mac os on partitions in my internal
 hard drive.  i would also like to not have to
 reinstall mac os, all my software, all my drivers, and
 reset all my preferences.  is there any good way to
 get my current system onto my external drive while i
 wipe and repartition the internal drive, only to
 recopy my system back onto the partitioned internal
 drive?  i've tried a few things with disk copy (my
 external drive has a disk image of my internal drive
 on it...) but i can't figure out what to do.  or even
 if this is possible.

My suggetion is Carbon Copy Cloner available at:
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

1. Put an empty partition on your FW drive using Disk Utility
2. Use CCC to copy your current system to the empty FW partition
3. Open the new partition in the finder
4. Reboot holding the option key down (Open Firmware will appear)
5. Select the new partition by clicking, then click on the right arrow
6. Resize the System Partition to make room for YDL using Disk Utility
7. Copy your system back using CCC
8. Reboot to test your "old" system
9. Boot from the YDL instalation CD and go to it

I hope this helps. I have booted my iBook from an external FW drive,

Joseph R. L. Simkins