yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1076 - 11 msgs

Isaac Wingfield yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 19 11:48:00 2003

>> How do you get a Mac to boot from a Zip drive that can only
>> be to set to SCSI address 5 or 6?

>On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 10:53  PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
>
>> I don't remember the incantation right now (some impossible
>> three-handed combination of keys) but there is a way to tell it to
>> scan the scsi bus backwards.  If your regular disk is SCSI-ID=0, and
>> the ZIP is SCSI-ID=6, this works as planned.
>>
>> I've done it.  So I know it can be done.  But it was a while ago --
>> back in the era when I thought a 150 MHz computer was *fast*!

I couldn't find a reference to the "backwards" scan, but I did find this in
my files (Other than "C", I haven't tried these):

Delete-Option-Command-Shift-#
        Boot from a specific SCSI ID, where # is 0 through 6

C	Boot from internal CD (Most late model Macs)

Z	Boot from an internal Zip drive

And this:

During boot up hold down the Delete, Option, Command and Shift keys
(remember the mnemonic DOCS) until your external device - Jaz or Syquest
- gives you the Happy Mac icon.  Then release these keys.

Holding down DOCS prevents the internal disk drive from mounting.
Releasing the keys as soon as booting starts then allows the internal
drive to mount, but the external one has already become the startup
drive.

--

Could it be that DOCS *without* an argument causes the backwards scan? On
single-SCSI-bus Macs, I don't know how it could tell an "internal" from an

Isaac