redhat-config-packages missing

Jason Lee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 19 10:36:01 2003

Suman Chakrabarti wrote:
>     A colleague is learning Red Hat on his laptop now. He can run
> redhat-config-packages, but he doesn't yet know the command that's
> equivalent to 'yum' on RH9. Obviously rpm at the command line should
> work, but he hasn't yet figured out how to inquire available packages
> with it. He thought this package manager would download a graphical
> listing ... but it doesn't. That's what I was hoping to see also.
>
>         SC

'rpm -qa' gives u a list of currently installed packages
'rpm -qil' gives a list of files in an installed pkg
'rpm -qpl' will give a list of files for a specific .rpm file

To find a version of a already installed pkg, I usually use

rpm -qa | grep <pkg substring>

and then rpm -qil <pkg name> it from there.

- Jason