Yellowdog as desktop OS? (Java and VPN needed)

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 19 15:58:01 2003

    Adhamh> Hello, I'm considering switching to yellowdog as my
    Adhamh> desktop OS from OS X.  There are two main things that
    Adhamh> could stop me from doing this, one is JDK support and the
    Adhamh> other is VPN support.

    Adhamh> I found the thread about IBM's 1.4.1 JDK being hackable to
    Adhamh> work on yellowdog, but I'm concerned about forcing the 604
    Adhamh> class code to be used when I running a G4.  What are the
    Adhamh> implications of doing this?  I take it that the 1.3.1 JDK
    Adhamh> does not have the same processor limitation?

    Adhamh>  I found some older threads about IPSec support, but
    Adhamh>  nothing recent.  What
    Adhamh> type of client side VPN solutions are available for
    Adhamh> yellowdog?

If you want actual IPsec support (as opposed to a non-standard VPN),
you should probably look at freeswan, http://www.freeswan.org
There is also net-policy, http;//net-policy.sf.net

Freeswan has bee around longer and is probably more stable.

Mike

--
ydl@mikesoffice.com