PPC 8500/150 running ?Newtech? G3 processor

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 22 02:30:00 2003

Well... the diagnostic is a trifle misleading...

You don't need a *newer* MacOS, you need an *older* Mac OS.
MacOS 9.2 won't run on the 8500.

The Apple support document at
says that the highest rev of MacOS that is compatible with the 8500
hardware is version 9.1

Unfortunately, the MacOS 9.1 upgrade CD is not bootable.  To
install it, you need to first install 9.0 (which *is* a bootable
CD.)

Now... You guessed it... Apple has not made the 9.0 CD available
for download.

But... all is not lost!

As pointed out in previous postings to this list, if all you want
is something to get BootX started, you can go as far back as
MacOS-7.

As noted in another Apple support document at
you can use anything from 7.5.3 and beyond on the 8500.

It just so happens that MacOS 7.5.3 is available as a *free*
download from Apple at
	http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html
Look on that page for
	"Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_Info.
txt"
There are 19 separate parts, each of which is a single floppy disk
image.  Image number "01" is the boot floppy.  I don't know if you
will need all 19 of them. Maybe you can get by with just the first
few in order to get something that will boot far enough to run the
BootX extension.

You'll need to set up a small HFS (not HFS+) partition (50-100 Meg)
to install and run MacOs 7.5.3.  Leave the rest unallocated so you
can carve it up using the YDL partitioning tool.  Once you have
your MacOS partition running, follow the instructions on the YDL CD
for installing BootX.

It's not really any more complicated than installing RedHat on a
PC, it's just *different*.

Enjoy!

Rick