BootX and kernel args

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 22 13:35:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 15:02, Isaac Wingfield wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I need to be a little more clear:
>
> X works fine. The problem is that I cannot read the screen *except* when X
> is running, because my monitor loses sync.
>
> It's *before* X takes over that I need to change the screen parameters, but
> kernel args in BootX don't seem to do anything.
>
> I've tried "video=atyfb:vmode=18:cmode=16" and several variations on that
> theme, but nothing I've tried changes the screen res during the text part
> of the boot process. BootX won't even *leave it alone*, the way the Mac set
> it up.
>
> Isaac

Sorry, Isaac, I misunderstood the problem, But I still think it's
probably a miscommunication between your monitor, video card and Linux.
A wee bit over my head at this point. Have you tried booting up from the
Install CD w/the  boot kernel/ram disk combo when you initially
installed Linux to see what the res is like?