128 bit WEP doesn't work /w Airport card

Joshua Mitchell yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 24 07:18:00 2003

>> Hello everyone.
>> I've got a 800 MHz iBook w/ 640 MB of RAM and I'm
>> trying to get the Airport card to work w/ my 128 bit
>> WEP.
>
><snip>
>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich Compton
>
><snip>
>
>Rich:
>
>As nearly as I can tell (can't get anyone to say it in these words),
>wireless is simply not supported on the iBook (mine's a 12").  WEP or
>otherwise.  I've been waiting for a couple weeks now on some promised news
>about a fix from YDL.  Nothing yet.  Meanwhile, I bought a used Thinkpad
>600x, put RH9 on it and am now starting to get things going.  The
>beautiful little iBook will sit on the shelf until YDL gets this fixed.
>
>George

George,
Wireless IS Supported
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=3

Wireless works fine on my iBook. Just a few small things to set up at the start. I followed YDL's on line guide. Modified /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ifcfg-eth0 (I think that's the file, to include the line SSID='my network name')
When I get home I can post the links to the HOW-TO

Joshua Mitchell
jdmitch@mac.com
jdmitch@lawrencechurch.org