Using the DVI output on a PowerBook G4 with YellowDog 3.0

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 25 06:55:01 2003

At 10:40 +0200 on 2003-9-25 frache wrote:

 > I would like to make a presentation with my powerbook, using the
 > external DVI output.
 >
 > How can I do that with YD Linux ?

It was possible for me (Tibook rev III) to do mirroring on the DVI
port, with emphasis on "was."  Specifically, the kernel module
radeonfb appears to support mirroring for X sessions alright.  Problem
is as far as I could figure out X itself.  I did mirror my Tibook
(Radeon M7) all the time to external projectors.  At the time I used
XFree86 4.2.something (e.g., stock YDL 2.3) and some recent benh
kernel (2.4.21-ben5).

With XFree86 4.3.0 (from xfree86.org) and the same kernel mirroring no
longer works, in the sense that I get on the external projector a
screen mostly white with some sensless lines on it.  Tried the same
with newer kernels (currently running 2.4.22-ben2) but got the same
result (as I said, the kernel module seems to work alright).

>From reports on this list it appears that the same thing happens with
the stock YDL 3 XFree86 (4.3.0 compiled by the Terrasoft people), so I
am guessing that I did not make any (major) mistake in configuring the
package.

I would love to hear a solution (looks so close!) other than a
downgrade (as XFree86 4.2.x does not support sleeping very well).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.