Please wait, loading kernel....???

Robert Persson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 27 15:27:00 2003

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 09:47:46 -0400, Mike Yrabedra <mike@323inc.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just finished installing YDL on my iMac 233 revA 512 Ram, 40G HD
>
> I installed it as the only OS on the machine.
>
> It starts up fine , but it stops at the following line,
>
> "Please wait, loading kernel..."
>
> It does nothing after that, just sits there .
>
> Anyone else experience this sort of problem?
>
> Any suggestions?

It sounds as if there is something about the kernel that is not compatible
with your hardware.

You might try downloading kernels from other distributions (Mandrake,
Suse, Debian, Gentoo) and seeing whether any of those work.  If so then
you could either stick with it or compile your own kernel.  Or you might,
if you're desperate, try compiling your own kernel on somebody else's
machine.

Another thing that probably won't help you with your iMac, but might help
others with the same problem on other machines, is to remove third-party
devices such as scsi cards.  If this works, the next step would be to
write to this list to find out why the kernel support for your hardware is
broken.

There are also all the usual steps, such a checking for firmware updates
 from Apple, if you haven't done so already.

Robert