OS X 10.2.8 causing problems for YDL 3.0?

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 27 20:12:01 2003

On Wed Sep 24 2003, someone wrote:

> > I've got a 12" Powerbook G4. I just upgraded OS X from version 10.2.6
> > 10.2.8. Afterwards I noticed that the computer suddenly shutdown while
> > attempting to boot into YDL 3.0.
> >
> > I use yaboot as my boot manager, and the shutdown occurs early in the
> > YDL
> > boot process, i.e., before the "Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux" message
> > that
> > appears in yellow text.
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, is there a fix?
>
> > Yes. Same problem here on a TiBook. I make it past yaboot, the first
> > few lines of boot code snap on the screen (before the YDL boot image),
> > and the computer shuts down. It's so early in the process that the
> > linux root partition never mounts.
>
> > Under MacOS X, I mounted the bootstrap to a /Volume/temp folder and the
> > contents are there and appear to be OK.
>
> > I zapped the pram to with no results.
>
> > Michael
>
> Its not just the Powerbook my G4 towers, A 800 mhz G4 and my DP 450mhz G4
> also have the same problems.  Another problem is with Darwin Pure 6.8 they
> just released, if you try to start X, the server starts then freezes.
> Apple has pulled the update, but I have tried to get a straight answer to
> no progression.  Im going to try something new and if it works I will post
> it.

Ummm.  Could it just be that the upgrade to OS X 10.2.8 mucked with the
OpenFirmware setting of boot-device.  To check this out, boot into
OpenFirmware by holding down the 4 keys Command(Clover), Option, O, and F
while booting.  Once in OpenFirmware, try setting boot-device to point
at the yaboot BootStrap partition by issuing the command:

	setenv boot-device hd:X,\\:tbxi

Replace the 'X' with the partition number of your yaboot BootStrap partition.
On some systems you may need to replace the device alias hd with a different
alias such as ultra0, ultra1, or ultra2.

Then issue the command:

	reset-all

If this was the problem, the susbsequent boot should now give you the
yaboot screens you are used to for selecting what OS to boot.

						-Bill

P.S.  It's also possible that the OS X upgrade deblessed the yaboot
      BootStrap partition in which case it will be necessary to re-bless
      it (involves booting using the YDL install CD and re-running ybin).