linux on mac

mascarasnake yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Sep 28 08:01:01 2003

Yes, you must repartition your Drive (or have 2 physical Drives) The
best place to get started  on your road to Linux is here:
	http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/
Look at these pre fab questions:
	http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/questions.shtml
 Check out the HOW TOs:
	http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/
The go here:
   http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/
and download one of the the "ydl3.0_guide-xxxxx.pdf" files A little
preparation can go a long way.

A couple of things I'll add, that I wish I knew before I installed
Linux, and got as deep into configuring some things as I have.

1) Don't use your Disk Setup to assign the Linux partitions. Make your
Linux side one partition assigned as "Unallocated" - The Linux installer
will set up The Linux partitions.

2) If you want your MacOS and Linux to be able to communicate and share
files, avoid formatting your MacOS partition(s) as hfs+. Linux won't
recognize a partition formatted as extended

2) If you're running an Old World Mac, don't panic if you aren't given
the apple bootstrap option. From what I have learned from third party
sites, The bootstrap, in truth, is used on New world computers, not
dinosaurs like me.

3)The YDL guides say to set your swap partition to 256 MB. The swap
partition is basically your virtual memory. I would recommend setting
that size to double The RAM you have installed. That's basically what
MacOS does by default.

	and Finally,

4) Take up a bad habit: Smoking, Drinking, Swearing, Yelling at the Dog
for no reason ( I really like that one). It'll help to alleviate the
frustrations you will encounter (and encounter them you will).

Just keep in mind that It's all worth it. You will finally have control
over your Computer instead of it handing you what it thinks you should
get.

Good Luck!