divide mac for linux

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 30 21:09:01 2003

It is normal for the "unallocated" partition to be invisible from MacOS.

When you install YDL 3.0.1 -- as part of the process -- you will subdivide
the unallocated partition for Linux use.  You still will not be able to see
the Linux partitions from MacOS.  On the other hand, you will be able to see
the MacOS (HFS and HFS+) partitions from Linux.  (see the recent posting in
this list from Stephen Harker with subject "Re: linux on mac" for more
details.)

If you are just starting out, one good, easy way to subdivide the Linux
("unallocated", from the point of view of MacOS) area is into two parts:

1) One area for "swap" (also called "virtual memory") that is about two to
four times the size of your RAM -- so if you have 128MB of RAM, make the
swap area somewhere between 256MB and 1GB in size.  This will be in "swap"
format.

2) One area for the "root" partition, which will contain all your Linux
files.  This will be "ext3" format.  It will take up all the rest of your
"unallocated" space.

The next time you do this, when you have some experience with Linux, and an
idea of the relative sizes of things, you can make separate partitions for
root, "/usr", "/var", "/home" (and maybe a couple of others -- depending on
what you want to do with your machine)

Don't worry if it sounds complicated.  The install procedure will guide you
through it -- step by step.

Enjoy!

Rick