linux on mac

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 30 17:28:00 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 01:33:25PM -0400, Jim Hart wrote:

> >normally i will format mcos hfs+
>
> It depends on what Mac you have. If it's older than an iMac, you should
> format the macos as hfs so you can copy files from linux to the mac
> partition. I just made the mistake, myself, and will have to correct it.

It doesn't matter what Mac you have, it is more a question of the
kernel.  The default kernel that comes with YDL 3.0 (2.4.20-8d) comes
with only a hfs read/write module.  You can use the hfsplusutils (see
/usr/share/doc/hfsplusutils-1.0.4/ or `rpm -ql hfsplusutils' to list
files in the package).  However, using a hfs partition as a swap
partition is the easiest answer here.  Another option is using
Mac-On-Linux to boot MacOS and running netatalk on YDL which can then
be seen by the Mac as a server allowing you to transfer files both
ways.

With later versions of the kernel there is a kernel module that allows
direct mounting and read/write access to hfs+ formatted partitions.  I
have installed kernel 2.4.22-ben2 on my 7600/200 (G3/300) at home and
have read/write access to the hfs+ formatted partitions.

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering