Firefox Compile Problem

Rafael Santiago, Jr. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 1 00:25:03 2004

>  I will try your script soon and post back with my findings.

In my haste to try to help, I had forgotten something about the
script...all the stuff about symlinking to it...forget it! I remember
that I had tinkered with trying to make it generic but that in the end I
just I kept it around as a template. So I did some housekeeping and
here's what you should really use:

#!/bin/sh
# generic-config
#
# A wrapper around pkg-config to provide
# missing *-config script for configure
# scripts that asK for *-config scripts
# for libraries

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=""
LIB=""
pkg-config $LIB $*

So in your case, do the following:
1. Create a copy of the above script and name it gtk-config
2. If the GTK you want to use is 1.2, then you should have gtk+.pc in
/usr/lib/pkgconfig. If so,

LIB="gtk+"

3. If the GTK you want to use is 2.x, then you should have gtk+-2.0.pc
in /usr/lib/pkgconfig. If so,

LIB="gtk+-2.0"

I'm assuming that the *.pc files for gtk+ are in /usr/lib/pkgconfig. If
you installed it from source, then they're really going to be in
PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig, with PREFIX being the install prefix. If they're
not in /usr/lib/pkgconfig, then

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig"

4. When done setting it up, you can test it by running the script :

./gtk-config --modversion

This should give you the version of the library.

Sorry about my sloppy response the first time around. I never thought
that I'd ever let the old script see the light of day...I should have
been more careful! I had it collecting dust and had forgotten how I had
been using it.

This should work fine now and hopefully this helps.
-Ralf