Exclude hidden files/folders from backup

Ron Flory yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 1 13:36:01 2004

> However, the process seemed to grind to a halt after about 10 small
> files. I waited about 30 minutes to see if anything had changed.
> Nothing! I was unable to kill the process off (- couldn't gain access to
> another terminal or via webmin)! All I could do was force a reboot!
>
> I'm running YDL 3.0 on an Apple Workgroup Server 8550/132 with an
> internal Archive Python DDS2 DAT Drive 02830-XXX version 5.76 on SCSI ID
> 2.
>
> A backup of 367Mb under MacOS 9 using Retrospect 3.0i completed and
> verified without any problems in 26 minutes and 32 seconds!

  sounds like problems I had long ago on old m68k and x86 Linux
machines with some SCSI tape drives.  In those cases the problem was
due to the disks and tapes not getting along with each other if
deselection/reselection was enabled.

  I was able to pass a boot-time option to the scsi driver
to disable deselection/reselection.  It was brute force, but
it worked.  Your scsi driver may or may not support such an
option.

  I'm not saying this is what you are seeing, but it sure sounds
suspicously similar.

  You may also take a close look at drive placement on the bus as
well as termination (active vs. passive, etc. ).

ron