Exclude hidden files/folders from backup

Mike Parson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 1 12:49:01 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:34:22PM +0100, Dene Stringfellow wrote:
> Thanks again for your reply Ken. I'll have a look at the 2 links you
> sent.
>
> BTW, the 367Mb was just a backup test sample.
>
> In the meantime, I've  been hunting around on the net and have a
> horrible feeling the problem may be to do with a lack of an installed
> driver for the DAT drive!

There is no additional driver needed, just the kernel level scsi-tape
driver, most likely loaded as a module (lsmod would list st).

> I kind of assumed everything would have been detected and installed
> during the setup installation process!?
>
> Info:
>
> I'm running YDL 3.0 on an Apple Workgroup Server 8550/132 with an
> internal Archive Python DDS2 DAT Drive 02830-XXX version 5.76 on SCSI
> ID 2.
>
> When I run the command:
>
> mt status
>
> I get the following returned:
>
> SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x24 (DDS-2).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

If you got that far, then you've got all the drivers you need.

> >From the following webpage:
>
> http://www.jpsdomain.org/linux/OnStream_DI-30-RedHat_Backup_mini-HOWTO.html
>
> - it would appear that the drive may be being run through the IDE
> driver!!! (- if I've understood correctly?!)

That page is aimed at people using OnStream tape drives under linux, not
DDS drives.  DDS drives 'just work.'

> So, where can I find and how do I install the SCSI driver for the
> Archive Python DDS2 DAT Drive 02830-XXX?

When you are doing your tests, is are you in X11 or from a console/text
session?

When you are running the tar command to the tape drive, in another
console/window, run 'dmesg' every once in a while and watch the output
for SCSI errors, time-outs, etc.

My guess would be SCSI termination problems, or just a bad tape drive.

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org