Airport question

Tom Burke yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 5 15:20:01 2004

I am (so far) unable to get my airport card (802.11b) working in my 800
Mhz G3 iBook. I've been through the archives and haven't been able to
find a definitive answer as to how to configure it. I'm running YDL
3.0.1

Here's the output from running ifup-eth1:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
	SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid Argument
Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
	SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.
Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
	SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

And here's the text of ifcfg-eth1:

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=no
DOMAIN=
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
HWADDR=[the hardware address of the AiPort card]
TYPE=Wireless
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
USERCTL=
PEERDNS=
GATEWAY=
ESSID=WLAN
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Auto
KEY=""
RATE=Auto

I'd be very grateful if someone with a working airport installation in
an iBook could tell me how their configuration compares to mine.

Tom Burke