MOL Networking

Olaf Olson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 7 00:35:02 2004

Greg,

Thanks for the help. I find it quite surprising to discover that the adage:

If you make something foolproof, they'll just invent a better fool.

applies to me. Even more surprising was that it applies to me as the
better fool, not the smart guy making things foolproof!

For those of you who have yet to try MOL, don't panic. It's even easier
than you might think. There's one little issue. The first time you start
MOL, assuming OSX, of course, you'll find a strange, Penguin Shaped icon
appears on the Mac OS desktop. Further investigation would reveal that
this is an application that only shows up when you need to install the
network drivers for MOL to share the network card that comes with the
Mac. Like many others before me and many others who will follow, I
didn't know what that icon was, what dreaded application it would start,
and what fearful things it might do to my Mac. I avoided it, ignored it,
ducked it, and attacked the config files for MOL.

Bottom line: Don't panic, just double-click it and let it run. You won't
have to edit the config files, you won't have to adjust the network
settings, and you won't have to know what you're doing. That is, of
course, based on my single point of experience, with a G3 400 (B&W),
configured as the factory shipped it.

It's working wonderfully and I highly recommend MOL for those who have
Mac applications for which they haven't yet located a true Linux
equivalent. It'll tide you over until you find it.

Thanks again for the help.

Olaf