MOL Networking

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 4 19:42:01 2004

Use the tun driver by adding this line to /etc/mol/molrc.net.

netdev:	tun${session} -tun

Comment out all the other 'netdev' lines in the file with a '#'.

Start MacOS using MOL. You'll find a new ethernet device available.
This is a virtual device. Create a network configuration which uses
DHCP to configure this device. MOL is the DHCP server. It will allocate
an address and I think it will also auto-magically configure DNS though
I manually specify the DNS server IP address for some reason.

If all goes well the MacOS session will have it's own IP address on the
virtual interface. You should be able to see Linux from MacOS and
vice-versa over the network. The rest of your home network should also
be visible. Traffic from MacOS will be routed through Linux to your LAN
and if you have an Internet connection available on the network you
shouldn't have too much trouble talking to that too.

There is a config file for MOL DHCP (/etc/mol/dhcpd-mol.conf) but I've
never touched it. The default config worked fine.

Don't forget that your MOL network config won't work if you re-boot
into MacOS. In OS X I have two network Locations configured. One for
MOL and another for the odd occasion that I boot into OS X.

I've used this config successfully running both OS9 and OS X in MOL.