Trying to Install YDL on G3 Beige

Lola Lee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 8 06:39:02 2004

At 9:46 PM -0500 4/7/04, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
>>The problem is when I select the local CDROM as the installation
>>method, I get "The Yellow Dog Linux CD was not found in any of your
>>cdrom drives. Please insert the YDL cd and click OK to retry".
>
>Well, that's odd. You know, of course, that an Old World Mac (such
>as yours) is unable to boot directly from the CD-ROM (you probably
>do know that if you read the "Companion to Installation," but it
>bears repeating).

Okay, I'll have to take another look at this.  This in regards to
booting into Linux from the cd when starting up the Mac?  I know you
can boot off the CD in OS 9 by holding down "C", of course.  Not what
I'm trying to do in this case; I'm trying to install Linux into the
hd.

>>Backing up a bit, I had an 160GB hard drive installed, made it the
>>master drive. The original drive is now the slave drive, as is the
>>CD ROM drive. The newer drive is partitioned into 2 parts, the
>>larger part being reserved for YDL. I have OS 9 installed. It is
>>hooked up to the wireless router (this is probably important as a
>>way to solve this problem).
>
>The Mac OS *must* be installed within a single partition within the
>first 8 GB of the boot drive. Is this how you have it set up?

Right.  I don't remember how the Drive Utility labels the partitions,
but I do remember that I specified 2 partitions, the bottom one being
30GB and the top one the rest of the HD.  I installed OS 9 into the
bottom partition.  Maybe the partition should actually be the other
way around?  And are you saying that partition 1 must be exactly 8GB?

>I am not sure where you see these options -- are you looking at the
>"BootX" application/Control Panel?
>
>According to the "Companion...," you must install a few items by
>hand in your Mac OS 9 System Folder: the BootX App, a folder called
>"Linux Kernels" (with some items inside it), and a file called
>"ramdisk.image.gz." Do you have all those set up *exactly* as
>described in the documentation?

Right.  I'd been following the instructions step by step.  What I'm
seeing on the screen now is text-only instructions, with the
background being grey and red boxes surrounding "OK", "Back", and
navigation is by the tab or arrows.  I was expecting to see an GUI
interface; the companion doesn't have a screenshot of what I'm
supposed to be seeing at this step (12) so I don't have any idea of
what I'm supposed to be seeing here. I would have taken a picture of
this but forgot to do so and now I'm here at work.  I'll see if I can
get my husband to take a picture of the screen so you can see what
I'm talking about.

>You're in luck (sort of)! Yellow Dog Linux can *only* be installed
>off the CD-ROM. I don't know where you found the other options.

Yes, see above.  Have no idea where this is coming from.

BTW, thanks for the warm welcome!

--
Lola - mailto:lola@his.com
http://www.lolajl.net | Blog at http://www..lolajl.net/blog/