Trying to Install YDL on G3 Beige

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 8 07:03:02 2004

Ms. Lee:

Lola Lee wrote:
>> Well, that's odd. You know, of course, that an Old World Mac (such as
>> yours) is unable to boot directly from the CD-ROM (you probably do
>> know that if you read the "Companion to Installation," but it bears
>> repeating).
>
> Okay, I'll have to take another look at this. This in regards to
> booting into Linux from the cd when starting up the Mac? I know you can
> boot off the CD in OS 9 by holding down "C", of course.

That's right. You can boot an older Mac off a *Macintosh* installation
CD by holding the "C" key, but not off any other system CD (like Yellow
Dog Linux). "New World" Macs (iMacs and later) do not have this limitation.

>> The Mac OS *must* be installed within a single partition within the
>> first 8 GB of the boot drive. Is this how you have it set up?
>
> Right. I don't remember how the Drive Utility labels the partitions,
> but I do remember that I specified 2 partitions, the bottom one being
> 30GB and the top one the rest of the HD. I installed OS 9 into the
> bottom partition. Maybe the partition should actually be the other way
> around?

Ah! I would bet that is your problem. There is a trick to setting up a
partition to accept YDL. One must leave the partition unallocated, but
not in the obvious way. Look here:

<http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-newbie/2003-October/005046.html>

> And are you saying that partition 1 must be exactly 8GB?

Yes, the first partition (the top one in Apple's Disk Utility), which
will contain the Mac OS 9 operating system, must be 8 GB (or less).

> What I'm seeing on the screen now is text-only
> instructions, with the background being grey and red
> boxes surrounding "OK", "Back", and navigation is by
> the tab or arrows. I was expecting to see an GUI
> interface;

The text installation is not necessarily bad (though the GUI
installation is more comforting). It has the advantage of being more
generally compatible with different video systems (a common Linux -- and
YDL -- hang up).

> and now I'm here at work. I'll see if I can get my
> husband to take a picture of the screen so you can
> see what I'm talking about.

That might not be necessary (unless you want to get him involved in this
bit of techno-sleuthing). I think that if you repartition the hard drive
according to the instructions in the link above, many of your problems
will disappear.

> BTW, thanks for the warm welcome!

It is our pleasure! This is a fun and welcoming group. You will enjoy
being involved with it (even if YDL itself is sometimes frustrating).

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint