'Sleep' Function

Krischan yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 9 02:23:01 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:30:17 +0100
Tom Burke <tom_burke@mac.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to condition the battery in my iBook. I'm running the
> battery down to 0 (or just above) as per the advice on the Apple
> website.
>
> However, YDL insists on putting the machine to sleep after just 5
> minutes, and I can't find the control panel or setting configuration
> that controls this! I'm running YDL 3.0.1 with a Gnome desktop. I've
> looked at the ScreenSaver tool, and made sure that the Power Management
> setting are set to something like 120 minutes, but that doesn't seem to
> be it - it's not just the screen that going to sleep, it's the entire
> machine that is going into standby mode after about 5 minutes. It's
> obviously related to power saving because it doesn't happen when I'm on
> main power.
>
> Can someone tell me where this is set?
>
> Tom Burke

Hello Burke

You can try to stop the power managment demon "pmud":
as root type: "/etc/init.d/pmud stop"

or you use the "redhat-config-services" tool for it.
However, after shuting down the pmud service you might be able to discharge the poor battery further. Keep in mind, that your system might stop at 0% without unmounting your drives properly - so save all your work first ;-)

Chan