Starting up in command-line mode

Hong Jiang yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Apr 10 12:59:01 2004

> I am a Linux newbie... So how do I get the system stay in command-line mode?
> Is there some key combination that will stop X Windows from starting up. And
> when in the boot procedure to you press that key combination?

When you reboot the machine and see "boot:". Enter your kernel image
name followed by a "1". For example, the default image name for a new
installation is "linux", you should type "linux 1" and press enter.
Linux will boot into single-user mode with command line.
If you want to boot into full multi-user mode everytime, you should edit
/etc/inittab, and change the line:
id:5:initdefault:
to:
id:3:initdefault: