Animation on webpages

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 12 19:23:01 2004

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

SVG is an open standard for vector graphics. There are plugins
available for most browsers now. It has some support for animation,
scripting and user interaction. Demonstrations I've seen were clunky by
comparison to Flash but it is a work in progress and is worth keeping
an eye on.

There are some great free tools for editing static SVG images. I
particularly like Inkscape which is a fork of Sodi Podi. Gimp 2.0 is
supposed to have some SVG support too, though I haven't used it yet .
Unfortunately I'm not aware of any editors which allow the easy
creation of animated SVG in the style of the Flash editor, you probably
have to do that by hand.