Open Firmware Problem

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 13 16:55:03 2004

--Apple-Mail-3-510470487

Try holding the alt/option key down while booting the machine. A few
seconds after the boot chime a screen should appear with an icon for
each bootable disc or partition detected. If your Linux partition isn't
broken you should be able to select it here. Once you've booted Linux
re-run ybin as root to restore yaboot.

On 14/04/2004, at 6:10 AM, Felix Jodoin wrote:

> Still no go, even after doing all of that. The last thing I did was
> zap the pram, and then my computer booted right into mac os x. My
> partition layout is as follows:
> /dev/hda1-5: Apple Stuff?
> /dev/hda6: Mac OS X
> /dev/hda7: Mac OS 9
> /dev/hda8: bootstrap
> /dev/hda9: Linux Root
> /dev/hda10: HFS Drive (LinuxShare, so I can get files between mac and
> linux)
> /dev/hda11: Linux Swap
>
> On 13-Apr-04, at 2:01 PM, David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:
>
>> Try zapping the pram by holding down command-option-p-r at boot
>> untill it chimes 2 or 3 times.  If that doesn't work try reformatting
>> the bootstrap partiton and then running ybin again.  Worked for me.
>> Also you might try unplugging any extra usb devices until you get it
>> worked out.  Especially printers.  Hope this helps.
>> David
>>
>> On Apr 13, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Felix Jodoin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> A bit ago I (by accident) changed the startup disc, so YDL doesn't
>>> boot; I just use the boot CD and go into rescue mode to use it. I
>>> decided I would like the menu again, so I re-ran ybin and rebooted.
>>> Open Firmware showed up, displaying a message like:
>>> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=300 at %SRR0: 011ee498 %SRR1: 00003030
>>> or something along those lines. I am running a 333mhz iMac with
>>> Panther and YDL 3.0.
>>> --
>>> Felix Jodoin
>>> President
>>> FJ Studios, Inc.
>>> Email: felixj@shaw.ca
>>> Phone: (204) 296-4480
> --
> Felix Jodoin
> President
> FJ Studios, Inc.
> Email: felixj@shaw.ca
> Phone: (204) 296-4480

--Apple-Mail-3-510470487

Try holding the alt/option key down while booting the machine. A few
seconds after the boot chime a screen should appear with an icon for
each bootable disc or partition detected. If your Linux partition
isn't broken you should be able to select it here. Once you've booted
Linux re-run ybin as root to restore yaboot.

<excerpt>Still no go, even after doing all of that. The last thing I
did was zap the pram, and then my computer booted right into mac os x.
My partition layout is as follows:

/dev/hda1-5: Apple Stuff?

/dev/hda6: Mac OS X

/dev/hda7: Mac OS 9

/dev/hda8: bootstrap

/dev/hda9: Linux Root

/dev/hda10: HFS Drive (LinuxShare, so I can get files between mac and
linux)

/dev/hda11: Linux Swap

<excerpt>Try zapping the pram by holding down command-option-p-r at
boot untill it chimes 2 or 3 times.  If that doesn't work try
reformatting the bootstrap partiton and then running ybin again.
Worked for me.  Also you might try unplugging any extra usb devices
until you get it worked out.  Especially printers.  Hope this helps.

David

A bit ago I (by accident) changed the startup disc, so YDL doesn't
boot; I just use the boot CD and go into rescue mode to use it. I
decided I would like the menu again, so I re-ran ybin and rebooted.
Open Firmware showed up, displaying a message like:

code=300 at %SRR0: 011ee498 %SRR1: 00003030

running a 333mhz iMac with Panther and YDL 3.0.

--

Felix Jodoin

President

FJ Studios, Inc.