firewire hard drive and file systems

Thierry de Coulon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 19 02:19:01 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 02:05, Benjamin Wolak wrote:
> What do i have to do to get my external firewire hard drive to show up
> in YDL 3.0.1?
> Can the formatting be done in OS X's Disk Utility?  What file system
> (HFS, HFS+, ext2, free space, unix file system)?
>
> Any relevant information is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> -ben

To the best of my knowledge (may be a little outdated): you have to load two
modules (modprobe ohci1394 and modprobe sbp2), then your firewire disc should
be available as /dev/sdx - x depending on other devices using the scsi
emulation, such as usb storage devices.

As to the filesystem: any linux filesystem (ext2, ext3, etc...) will do. hfs
should be no problem. hfs+ was still experimental the last time I tried.
AFAIK Apple's "unix file system" does not work.

I used to partition such discs with the OS X Disk Utility, creating an hfs
partition (readable by both MacOS and Linux) and a free space. I then created
an ext3 partition in the free space (from YDL).

That worked, until "something" corrupted my hfs partition. I now use two discs
(one for hfs+, the other for ext3).

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein