OT When to use OSX/YDL?

Jim Hart yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 19 07:42:00 2004

Come on, YDL, don't abandon those of us with older hardware. I have 2
Powerbook 3400s that can't run OSX and that aren't stable with OS9. I
resurrected them with YDL, giving them stability and the ability to
network with Windows. And, I just gave you $100 to help support the
cause.

But, upgrading applications for Linux can become impossible very
quickly if one can't keep the system up to date. New versions of
applications often require new versions of shared libraries. In
essence, this means that we won't be able to keep our older Macs going
for very long unless we do a lot of source level installs. It will
amount to maintaining the distribution ourselves. What a bummer!

And, forget the other distributions. I tried Debian, Suse and Mandrake.
None of them installed correctly on a PowerMac 6500. Didn't Suse stop
work on PPC as of version 7.3, anyway?

You know one of the greatest things about YDL over the other distros?
The programs in the menu system have clear descriptive names. I don't
know all the cryptic names for the various Linux apps. I had no idea
that to play audio streams I needed 'xmms' or 'noatune'. Bless YDL for
solving that crucial usability problem.

Regards to all,
Jim H.