Installing YDL 3.0.1 From External Firewire CDROM

kyle kestell yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 20 12:01:06 2004

Hey, I have a 15" 2002 Powerbook G4 (Radion Mobility
/w 32M Vid RAM). My internal CDROM drive is broken.
I've been looking for information on booting the
installation cd off of an external firewire CDROM
drive. The external firewire drive is a LaCie 52x32x52
CD-RW. I'm positive that my installation cd is good,
as I've booted it as a test on my friends powerbook.
When restarting my powerbook, I've tried holding 't'
(which presents me with a bouncing firewire logo, but
doesn't do much else at all), and holding
Option-Command-Shift-Delete (which reads the cd,
begins a boot, flashes what looks like could be an
error message, and then boots OS X off of the
harddrive as normal.

Am I doing something wrong?
Is booting the installation CD off of an external
firewire disk even possible?