Firefox on 2.3?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 22 09:34:01 2004

Mr. Moon:

wolf_moon456 wrote:
> I recently installed YDL 2.3 on my iMac 350Mhz (Not
> enough disk space to install 3.0, I'm afraid.)

If you are very selective, you can install Yellow Dog Linux on 2 GB with
a GUI, or less than 1 GB without a GUI. All the "slot-loading" iMacs
(350 MHz and above) had a 6 GB hard drive or larger. You should be able
to do something with that!

You can also upgrade components individually using the yum update system
(search Terra Soft's pages for the link). This would be a great way to
get up to date. However, you might like YDL 3.0.x if you can spare the
drive space.

> I was wondering if you can installed Firefox on it?
> So far the only complaints I've had are with Konquerer
> (Which I think I spelled wrong, and which runs
> hideously slow.) and the fact that it comes with an
> older version of Mozilla.

Konqueror (at least the version that comes with YDL 3.0.x) is not
terrible, and is useful because the K Desktop Environment (KDE) uses it
as its file browser. The version of Mozilla (1.2, I believe) that comes
with 3.0 is not *too* bad, either. I wonder if your RAM might be
limiting (YDL likes 128 MB or better of RAM)? However, I agree that
Firefox is a better-than-average browser.

> I've downloaded the .tar.gz file and decompressed it,
> but I can't actually run the installer.

That probably won't work. However, some kind souls have come to our rescue:

Baruch Stone <mailto:baruch1 AT mac DOT com> wrote:
> Hi, everyone. A search with google and the assistance of
> the the freenode.net yellowdog # yielded the following
> site which had lots of ydl rpms...
> <http://gurke.gaertner.de/ydl-rpms/>

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

Note: the Yellow Dog Newbie mailing list is not currently being archived
(we don't know why). Therefore, for significant questions whose answers
might help other Yellow Dog Linux users, we recommend you sign up for
the Yellow Dog General list: