boot failure

Thomas Sorensen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 27 13:33:00 2004

Norberto Quintanar wrote:

>Yes, you assume correctly on where to type in single.  I don't know
>what's going on with your situation, if it's forcing you to go to
>runlevel 5.  Have you tried typing rescue or emergency?  If you can
>get to a command prompt using one of those two methods then change
>your /etc/inittab file to run level 3.  When you open the file edit
>the line that reads
>
>id:5:initdefault:
>

>change the 5 to a 3 save close and reboot.  Then try the fix I gave
>you earlier to configure X.
>
>YMMV
>Norberto
>--- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
>=== message truncated ===
>I assume when you say at the BootX prompt you are refering to the box
>on the lower left that says Kernel exceptions or something of that
>sort. When I typed single in there the system reboots into user mode
>3 initally but as I was reading the lines of script during start up
>about halfway through I see another line that says
>rebooting/resetting to user mode 5 and then eventually we are back to
>the same point again. Have you had any experience with mklinux boot
>loader it seems to have more options for exceptions and revisions
>using lilo? Thanks

>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

I'm continueing to try and work through this but have made no headway. I
have had the chance to talk to a co-worker who has installed many Linux
systems including what we run here at work and he thinks I am going in
the wrong direction trying to change the run level. His opinion is that
run level 5 is the same as run level 3 with the addition of starting up
the Xserver, he said it doesn't matter what level I am at if the Xserver
won't start. Some people had said that trying to install on a 6360 was
nothing but trouble so I have pulled the hard drive and installed it in
my 9600 which after detecting all of the new system settings ends up at
the same localhost login prompt. The other observation from my co-worker
was that if I am able to get to a command line prompt which I am that
changing the run level isn't the problem its a configuration issue. I
would still like to make this work if someone can still work with me.