boot failure

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 27 14:04:02 2004

--- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
> Norberto Quintanar wrote:
>
> >Yes, you assume correctly on where to type in single.  I don't
> know
> >what's going on with your situation, if it's forcing you to go to
> >runlevel 5.  Have you tried typing rescue or emergency?  If you
> can
> >get to a command prompt using one of those two methods then change
> >your /etc/inittab file to run level 3.  When you open the file
> edit
> >the line that reads
> >
> >id:5:initdefault:
> >

> >change the 5 to a 3 save close and reboot.  Then try the fix I
> gave
> >you earlier to configure X.
> >
> >YMMV
> >Norberto
> >--- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
> >=== message truncated ===
> >I assume when you say at the BootX prompt you are refering to the
> box
> >on the lower left that says Kernel exceptions or something of that
> >sort. When I typed single in there the system reboots into user
> mode
> >3 initally but as I was reading the lines of script during start
> up
> >about halfway through I see another line that says
> >rebooting/resetting to user mode 5 and then eventually we are back
> >the same point again. Have you had any experience with mklinux
> boot
> >loader it seems to have more options for exceptions and revisions
> >using lilo? Thanks
> >

> I'm continueing to try and work through this but have made no
> headway. I
> have had the chance to talk to a co-worker who has installed many
> Linux
> systems including what we run here at work and he thinks I am going
> in
> the wrong direction trying to change the run level. His opinion is
> that
> run level 5 is the same as run level 3 with the addition of
> starting up
> the Xserver, he said it doesn't matter what level I am at if the
> Xserver
> won't start. Some people had said that trying to install on a 6360
> was
> nothing but trouble so I have pulled the hard drive and installed
> it in
> my 9600 which after detecting all of the new system settings ends
> up at
> the same localhost login prompt. The other observation from my
> co-worker
> was that if I am able to get to a command line prompt which I am
> that
> changing the run level isn't the problem its a configuration issue.
> would still like to make this work if someone can still work with
> me.

There is linux, and then there is Yellow Dog linux.  Good luck
getting your 6360 running, it's a lot harder to install then on a PC.
 Two completely different beasts.  You should ask your linux friend
if he has a PC, x86 architecture laying around for you to learn linux
on first.  Then when you know something about the command line,
Xserver, compiling, etc....  Try YDL again.  You see, what I'm trying
to get you to do is go in at runlevel 3 so you can fix the
configuration issue your experiencing, an Xserver issue, once changed
to a default fbdev config, you can go back in and tweak it.  But
trust me runlevel 3 and runlevel 5 are not the same thing, especially
when it's X server related.  Good luck, I hope you get your 6360 up
and running.