boot failure

Thomas Sorensen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 27 18:49:00 2004

on 4/27/04 4:04 PM, Norberto Quintanar at nquintanar@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Norberto Quintanar wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, you assume correctly on where to type in single.  I don't
>> know
>>> what's going on with your situation, if it's forcing you to go to
>>> runlevel 5.  Have you tried typing rescue or emergency?  If you
>> can
>>> get to a command prompt using one of those two methods then change
>>> your /etc/inittab file to run level 3.  When you open the file
>> edit
>>> the line that reads
>>>
>>> id:5:initdefault:
>>>

>>> change the 5 to a 3 save close and reboot.  Then try the fix I
>> gave
>>> you earlier to configure X.
>>>
>>> YMMV
>>> Norberto
>>> --- Thomas Sorensen <tomsor@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> === message truncated ===
>>> I assume when you say at the BootX prompt you are refering to the
>> box
>>> on the lower left that says Kernel exceptions or something of that
>>> sort. When I typed single in there the system reboots into user
>> mode
>>> 3 initally but as I was reading the lines of script during start
>> up
>>> about halfway through I see another line that says
>>> rebooting/resetting to user mode 5 and then eventually we are back
>>> the same point again. Have you had any experience with mklinux
>> boot
>>> loader it seems to have more options for exceptions and revisions
>>> using lilo? Thanks
>>>

>> I'm continueing to try and work through this but have made no
>> headway. I
>> have had the chance to talk to a co-worker who has installed many
>> Linux
>> systems including what we run here at work and he thinks I am going
>> in
>> the wrong direction trying to change the run level. His opinion is
>> that
>> run level 5 is the same as run level 3 with the addition of
>> starting up
>> the Xserver, he said it doesn't matter what level I am at if the
>> Xserver
>> won't start. Some people had said that trying to install on a 6360
>> was
>> nothing but trouble so I have pulled the hard drive and installed
>> it in
>> my 9600 which after detecting all of the new system settings ends
>> up at
>> the same localhost login prompt. The other observation from my
>> co-worker
>> was that if I am able to get to a command line prompt which I am
>> that
>> changing the run level isn't the problem its a configuration issue.
>> would still like to make this work if someone can still work with
>> me.

> [...]
OK I believe what you are saying and he admits he has no experience with a
Mac or YDL and is just trying to help. My question to you is why won't the
etc/inittab allow me to edit it, do I need to open it in another program to
make the change to level 3, when I use less /etc/inittab it seem to be more
of a read only program. One other observation if I type single in the kernel
exceptions I get to a command line promp of sh-2.05b# and it won't go any
further. I'm sorry to have offended anyone by my lack of Linux knowledge and
have posted also on the newbie list but got no responses, I thought the idea
of the mailing list was to help other people out and try to expand Linux
usage. Thanks