macromedia plug-ins

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 27 23:23:01 2004

Yes and no. There's only one Flash plugin for OS X. It works on any PPC
Mac that can run OS X. YDL provide a single binary distribution of
GNU/Linux which will install on just about any PPC hardware, Mac or
otherwise.

If a binary doesn't require AltiVec support it should run on any PPC
Mac running Linux.

I suppose a 64-bit version would be required for a G5 running the new
64-bit version of YDL.

Anyway, this got me wondering about how G3s cope with code compiled to
use the AltiVec. Are there library functions to emulate the AltiVec
instructions for processors which don't have an AltiVec? Apparently
not. I compiled an AltiVec sample program. It runs on a G4. It outputs
'Illegal instruction' and terminates on a G3. I guess it's up to the
programmer to test for AltiVec and avoid AltiVec specific functions on
PPC <= G3.

Greg