Editing /etc/hosts

Larry Autry yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 29 09:14:00 2004

> From: Ken Schweigert <ken@byte-productions.com>
> Date: 2004/04/29 Thu AM 08:19:23 CDT
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: Re: Editing /etc/hosts
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 05:51:17PM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> > I've just read an article on Slashdot
> >  <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/28/2011234>
> > about some new Ad technology... it mention the use of a customized HOSTS
> > file <http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html> (see the Linux/Unix/Mac
> > OSX section down there) It say I should replace my /etc/hosts file with
> > the one provided <http://www.everythingisnt.com/Hosts> to block all
> > those banner-ads from loading their sh*t into my web browser...
> >
> > My question is: Shouldnt it goes in /etc/hosts.deny instead of
> > /etc/hosts ??????? hmm??
>
> I've been using that hosts file for a couple weeks now and it works great.
> I occassionally get a banner ad, but not very often.  A lot of the news
> sites load significantly faster, too.
>
> The /etc/hosts is correct.  /etc/hosts.deny is a file that works with
> the inetd daemon for restricting access to internet services.
>
> When you request a DNS lookup, linux will first look in /etc/hosts and then
> do a DNS lookup to the servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf.  If it's looking
> up, say, ads.doubleclick.net, it first looks and /etc/hosts and if you are
> using everythingisnt's hosts file it will resolve to 127.0.0.1 which will
> give you a broken image instead of an ad.  A good thing.
>
> HTH
I will second that opinion with a caveat. There are legitimate sites that are often listed among these numerous hosts. While doing legitimate shopping on the web, certain sites forward you to the product you are looking for so that the forwarder can get credit. There may be other sites that you don't want in the list, but these can be counted on one hand.

A customized hosts file is a very efficient way to eliminate popups and in-line ads without the annoyance of maintaining a list of specific URLS in a pop-up filter. You can install it on your Windows and Mac systems as well.

Larry Autry

Larry Autry
larry.autry@charter.net