MOL on Powermac G5, possible ?

sloopy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 29 13:58:01 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 10:03, jaspal.kallar.xfree86@spray.se wrote:
> I have a dual powermac G5 and a separate partitions for OS X
> and linux. I'm wondering if anybody has had any success running
> MOL with the powermac G5 and the kernel 2.6 series and panther 10.3.3 ?

sloopy.

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 08:25, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I installed Debian on a PowerMac G5, which is to become a
> dual-boot machine for occasional graphics work and building and
> testing Linux kernels.  While I was at it, I thought I'd give mol a
> try as well, but it did not even start, hanging the module on the
> first try and crashing the machine on the second.
>
> Anything I can do to help with G5 support?  Any other hints?

I spent some time digging into it and it's not trivial. It's definitely
easier if we limit ourselves to a 32 bits host kernel, but then, I don't
intend to support 32 bits kernels indefinitely on the G5. Havign the
module work within a 64 bits kernel is definitely more difficult. There
is some work beeing done here by Paulus rewriting the ppc64 kernel
exception entry/exit path, I'm mostly waiting for that to be done (and
other stuffs eating my spare time) before I have a look at it again.

Ben