lists win ... next steps

Kai Staats yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 21:11:09 -0600

Members of General, Devel, and Newbies list,

Today has been interesting, to say the least :)

We had made a decision to go with a web-based forum. This was driven by two
factors: frustration with the admin interface and functionality of mailman,
and a number of requests by users to switch to a web-based forum.

However, when this decision was announced, the feedback from the active users
of the current lists was overwhelmingly in favor of the lists.

So, we are going to do 4 things:

	1) Install the latest version of mailman (this may cause list downtime).

	2) Keep the PHP-BB forum on the server but shut-down the current lists (for
they are duplicates of the existing mail lists) ... it is likely that we will
launch a new forum which does not duplicate the existing lists ... waiting
for feedback from our users.

	3) Work on a revised, public interface to mailman (sign-up, info, archives)
to better maintain a consistent theme with our corporate site and more
importantly, offer a less confusing path to subscribing, un-subscribing, etc.

	4) Work to further reduce spam that is sent to (and intercepted by) the
lists.

I sincerely apologize for the confusion and do believe the end result will be
an overall improvement of the lists.

Sincerely,
kai