Lost in Flash Drive PCI USB SCSI hotplug, etc.

Walt Pawley yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:19:48 -0700

On 8/6/04 11:43 AM -0500, Jima wrote on Re: Lost in Flash Drive PCI USB
SCSI hotplug, etc.

>On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Walt Pawley wrote:
>> Anyone have some pointers or out right direct procedures for getting at a
>> flash drive?
>
> I'd say it varies by the flash drive, and by how it's formatted.

Seems sensible.

> You said it showed up as /dev/sda (which makes sense).

Well, it didn't "show up" - not in the sense that an icon appeared in KDE
or a volume got mounted - at least not that I detected. It's just that in
poking around in what documentation I could find, I saw a lot of mention of
mounting /dev/sda (b, c ...) for accessing flash drives on USB ports. So,
when I tried "hexdump -C /dev/sda | more" and got output that looked a lot
like what I'd expect as the beginning of a Mac drive, I presumed that
/dev/sda must be where the system has decided to make it accessible. I'm
glad this makes sense to someone but the logic of it escapes me. I just
stumbled into it.

>  What did you try
>mounting it as?  /dev/sda1?  Have you tried mounting it as /dev/sda?

Yes and yes and more.

>... could you paste the output
>of `fdisk -l /dev/sda`, pdisk, whatever?

# /sbin/pdisk /dev/sda
Edit /dev/sda -
Command (? for help): p

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
 #:                type name                 length   base   ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
 2:           Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2 511920 @ 64     (250.0M)
 3:          Apple_Free                          16 @ 511984

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=512000 (250.0M)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Hope that helps. It hasn't exactly made my day yet.

--
Walter M. Pawley <walt@wump.org>
Wump Research & Company