Last Gasp (cont)

Olaf Olson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 07 Aug 2004 19:49:39 -0700

Actually, the answer to that is that the ./ is required IF you don't
have . (that is, your current directory) in your PATH. This is true of
most *NIX, and is done as a security setting, for root. root won't run
an application in the current directory without it. I believe the
history of this is that it was devised in the early 90s, when people
were stealing time on mainframes, by mailing scripts that created back
doors. By eliminating the current directory (or, actually, the present
working directory, pwd), this blocked the hacker access.

One of two things occurred after you reinstalled. Either you are now
running as other than root, or you changed the security setting defaults
to something lower than your original install.

Olaf