Old World PMac 5500 install

David Wadson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:50:32 -0400

i've found installing from the CDs to be next to impossible with most=20
of the Old World Macs I've been working with - 8500, 7200, 7500, 7100,=20=

8100 (yes, a couple of NuBus one). I've found a 4400 and a 7300 to be=20
easier to install. I don't know whether it's the older CD drives having=20=

trouble with the discs, the fact that all I can find now are 700MB CDs=20=

and not the old 640MB ones, but the CD installs have been really=20
troublesome. I've given up on it and instead have set up an NFS share=20
on another computer and do a network install instead.

That said, it still hasn't been easy. Still often have kernel panics=20
and crashes in various stages with the install. TechTool Pro has helped=20=

me find some flakey memory modules. A flakey network cable caused=20
headaches and read errors while trying to install certain packages. And=20=

finally, SCSI issues with the older hard drives has caused headaches as=20=

well - Double DMA errors and what not. Almost every machine has been a=20=

challenge to get a working install on it.

If you can get a newer machine running even temporarily, share the=20
install discs via NFS - it's much easier than fighting with the CDs.

Dave