Yellowdog install without bootable cd

Lincoln Rutledge yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:57:58 -0400

Hi Edward,

I'm having some trouble, and if you have any thoughts I would appreciate
it.  I'm trying to install Yellowdog on an iBook, a 366.  It won't read
CDRs :(

I currently have OSX and Debian installed.  All I need to do is
bootstrap the install.

I have copied yaboot, yaboot.conf (and modified it), the initrd image
file, and the kernel to a /bootstrap partition on my disk.

I am currently able to launch yaboot from openfirmware, and boot my
install kernel.  It halts with root file system not found.

Do I need to somehow mount the install image as the root filesystem,
using something like "root=/dev/ram" and something pointing to the
image, "/dev/hda2/netstg1.img"?  hda2 is my /bootstrap partition, the
first 100mb of the disk.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

thanks,

Lincoln