Mac OS X root

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:50:49 -0500

Mr. Ricken:

Jim Ricken wrote:
> Do you guys or gals know how to log in to Mac OS 10.2
> using a terminal?

Sure -- I used to do it all the time (especially back in the old OS X
10.0 days, when it was pretty unstable :-( ).

> Is it the same as linux?

More or less. You should use ssh rather than telnet (which is not
enabled by default). You must also have "Remote Login" enabled in the
Sharing pane of System Preferences on the target machine. Also, you must
have port 22 open in the firewall (which happens automatically when you
enable Remote Login). Finally, you must know the IP address, username,
and password of the target machine.

> I installed fink and after I installed it I tryed to
> run the following fink scanpackages; fink index. I was
> prompted for a password for root I typed it in and it
> said sorry try again.

I am only echoing Mr. Scow's advice here. I haven't used fink in a
while, but I am surprised it wants the *root* password rather than using
sudo (the Mac OS X way). However, if you follow Mr. Scow's instructions
in his previous response, you will be able to enable the root user.
Here's Apple's official instructions:

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint