Mach Kernels for YDL install on NuBus PPCs like the 6100

Alexander Holst yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
23 Aug 2004 11:57:20 +0200

Sorry for the repost, but I forgot to change the subject in the previous post
:[

Hi Per,

there is still development going on for the NuBus kernel series:

http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/

I have the 2.4.26 kernel running under YDL-3.0.1 on a Performa 5200. The
site states that the latest kernel is 2.4.27. The kernels are remarkably
stable - before I upgraded to 2.4.26 recently, the machine was running
for 155 days on a 2.4.23 kernel:

Tue Aug 17 04:02:43 CEST 2004
  4:02am  up 155 days, 12:28,  2 users,  load average: 1.64, 0.41, 0.13

With installing YDL-3.0.1, there is only one caveat: there is no kernel
with installer for YDL-3.0.1, only for YDL-3.0! So the only way to get
YDL-3.x installed, is to start with the YDL-3.0 CDs, then upgrade via
yum or apt-get!

The only possibility to get around this, would be to compile a custom
NuBus kernel with the exact version number, which the YDL-3.0.1
installer needs (AFAIK 2.4.22-2f), in order to run the install
environment.

Good luck,
Alex

--